Forget riots, let’s moan about Arsenal


Didn’t think the riots would stop me blogging. Well, they did. Fortunately, not for too long!

Arsenal will struggle to finish in the top four this season. Obviously, this isn’t what I want to happen, but I fear that this is a real possibility considering what has happened during pre-season. I’m sure this is music to the ears of Man. Utd and Chelsea fans. Not that they would be expecting a challenge from us this season in the first place. Everyone always seems to dismiss us before the season starts, but this time I think all these critical predictions could come true.

The main and so outstandingly obvious reason is the lack of transfers, and the lack of quality in these transfers. Having just bought another MIDFIELDER (Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain), Wenger has once again failed to address the priorities facing the club in terms of personnel. We have enough midfielders. Good ones, too. Aside from League Cup games, where is this guy going to fit into a team with Wilshere, Ramsey, Song and Fabregas already ahead of him? He’s a waste of money – I heard it could eventually cost £15m. I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but that money should have been used more effectively by reinforcing the back four.

Chamberlain: Waste of money?
And unfortunately, as much as it pains me to say it: the other teams are better than us. Well, up to Spurs, anyway. I wouldn't worry about them. There’s no way they can compete with the squad they've got and haven’t had much luck so far in the transfer market. It’s a pity that I can say exactly the same for Arsenal, even though we've bought players. On the other hand, United and City have got much, much stronger, and Chelsea may not need too many big signings to compete for honours (Lukaku will flop, by the way).

The way I see it we may be fighting Liverpool and Spurs for the final Champions League spot. To be honest we’ll be lucky if we get that far, looking at the squad at the moment, with Fabregas and Nasri lurking outside the exit door. Unless new signing Gervinho is another Henry, I can’t see us challenging for the title. Oh dear, the season hasn’t even started and I’m already contradicting myself.


What’s more, the Premier League weren’t exactly kind to us when organising the fixtures. Our first two weeks of the season are hell, especially with a double helping of Champions League games. Thank God for teams like Swansea, even if they are Welsh. We couldn’t hand-pick a worse start:

Newcastle away is our new bogey ground after last season, taking that title away from the Reebok, although we still play dreadful there. Liverpool home was a game to forget last season – I’m hoping we can get a referee that can count to eight this time around. Then we’re off to Old Trafford – watch out for dodgy early season tactics from Fergie, whether we win or not (we’ll lose).

Andre Marriner: Yes, I remembered the ref's name
Don’t forget that’s without the two Udinese games. I suppose the CL draw could've been worse – I wouldn't fancy going to Russia this time of year, and I can’t see us not qualifying for the group stage anyway. We should – should – have enough quality over the two legs to beat them. Can’t say I'm too confident, though.

So with all this to come before August is out, how on earth are we going to cope by the time May comes around? Maybe a new defender can rejuvenate some of the optimism that I had a few weeks ago. But if the club stays as it is now, I cannot see a successful season this year. Fingers crossed, I hope Wenger’s got a few tricks up his sleeve…

2011/2012 Arsenal Predictions:
Premier League: 4th (just)
FA Cup: Get a really rotten draw against a top team in 3rd round, out immediately.
Champions League: Quarter Finals again, after stumbling past an easy group.
Carling Cup: As long as we don’t go out like we did last year, I don’t mind.


Comments