Gooners Back In Business + other stories


I usually dedicate my second post to all things apart from goings on at the Emirates, but I couldn’t resist against ignoring Arsenal’s heroics in Europe on Wednesday. Boy, did we prove a point against Udinese. I admit to being totally scared of the prospect of them knocking us out and putting us into the Europa League, but once Theo put us into the lead, I was reassured that this team can go places this season.

At half time, you would be forgiven for calling for Wenger’s head, but now you can do nothing but praise him. The guy is a genius. He knows what works. And so what if his transfer policy isn’t great, his knowledge of players and the game itself is second to none. People saying he should go can shut right up now. Never doubt his ability to get the best out of the team.


After last week’s dismal display against Liverpool, I was a little ticked off that he persisted with picking Jenkinson in the team, but he came up good on Wednesday. He surprised me, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Frimpong answered his critics too on the evening where his tackling was superb. He could be another Vieira for us.

The mood is now good for the trip to Old Trafford on Sunday, although I think, as a neutral, I would bet against the Gunners, considering what United made of Tottenham this week. Having said that, I have got my fingers crossed for David De Gea to return to the form he showed against West Brom and the pressure to get to him. Szczesny, on the other hand, will have no such problems and his remarkable penalty save in midweek will only boost his already steel confidence. Maybe a clean sheet is on the cards after all. Should be a great match.
Safe hands: Szczesny is truly No1
As per usual at this time of year, Manchester United have got another favourable draw in the Champions League. With at least one potentially tricky match guaranteed (thanks to the quite surprising strength of teams in the second pot), they will be chuffed with Benfica, and Basle and new-boys Otelul Galati (great name) should provide little competition. They could go far once again.

As for their rivals City, they were always going to get a tricky draw. But I’d rather be in City’s position. In fact, their group is probably one of the strongest ones. Bayern may have enough class to overcome them, but Villarreal and Napoli should be very worried of the threat that City possess. They should qualify with Bayern, but their position on the group could determine how far they get. I think they’ll reach the quarters.

Which English club will go furthest?
For the London clubs, they should get through easily but Arsenal have been known to slip up in seemingly easy groups. That said, Dortmund could provide a stern test despite being fourth seeds. I’ll stick back them to win their group, and the same goes for Chelsea (unfortunately). AVB knows what it takes to win in Europe; surely the Champions League isn’t too big a step to climb than the Europa League? Only one way to find out…

There’s only one week left in the transfer window and the main focus is, for once, on Arsenal. Disappointingly, at least personally, Wenger still sees something in Gary Cahill that I, and I’m sure quite a few Arsenal fans don’t see, that deems him good enough to fit in to our fragile defence. Thankfully, Bolton continue to try and hold out for much more money than he is really worth. However, you do start to wonder what kind of class he is trying to bring in. The money is definitely there now, why not go and get a superstar to replace Fabregas? Unfortunately, something tells me he won’t buy anyone before the week is up, and that will only irritate the fans more.

As for other clubs, I’m not sure if they need much strengthening. I don’t think Modric will fit in at Chelsea. I hope for his sake that he stays at Tottenham. Man. United look like they are a complete team already, and I’m pretty sure Man. City won’t need anyone else to forge a title challenge using purely money. Tottenham’s acquisition of Adebayor was very interesting; as it gives us Arsenal fans another reason to hate him. That will be one hell of a derby.

Here’s to another week of great football.

Comments

  1. I don't think Arsenal will hold any consistency for long- Man Utd on the other hand look renewed an in very good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't rule us out just yet! I think we might prove a few people wrong on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say that game will have to be remembered as the SUNDAY MASSACRE, what happened? If Wenger wants to keep any dignity now he would resign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sacking him/resigning would be a big mistake - trust me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment