All Systems Go!

This week, it’s a new start for Arsenal. Oh wait, correction: it’s a new, new start for Arsenal. The slate has been wiped clean, and Arsenal are set to start a fresh exciting chapter in their history. At least, I’m hoping they do anyway.

Let’s face it, we haven’t exactly hit the ground running, but a win against Bolton tomorrow, coupled with the midweek heroics on Tuesday night, will provide the perfect antidote for the misery surrounding the Blackburn result. Speaking of Tuesday, I wasn’t half worried about us once we had gone behind! I never would have thought a game against Shrewsbury Town would be must-win but it was in the end and it was a scrappy victory. If it weren’t for the heroics of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (hereafter ‘AOC’), I wouldn’t be surprised if Shrewsbury were in the hat and not us. They could have been 3 up at the break. Thankfully, sanity was restored at the Emirates.

Hero: AOC saved us from humiliation
I remember when we first brought AOC everyone was saying “Why hasn’t Arsene got a defender instead of wasting some money on some kid!?” A kid, he is, but a waste of money? I think not. That ‘waste of money’ is concrete proof that Arsene, however precarious his job looks, is a genius. And for the record, his job is undoubtedly safe – and so it should be. We should all leave the sacking talk (which is all total rubbish) until May, or whenever we decide to self-disintegrate our season, so possibly until February if we collapse like last time around.

I realise this is a slightly different tone I’m using towards Wenger compared to my last post (thanks to the 9 of you who viewed it), I have to confess I may have been overreacting; speaking in the heat of the moment as they say. Who am I kidding; he’s the best thing that ever happened to this football club. I do, however, still stand by my point that what happened in the past is irrelevant to now – he has to deliver this season or else. More importantly, in the short term at least, the team need to deliver against Bolton tomorrow. In Arsene We Trust!

As for the other teams in the Premier League (who I am very jealous of right now, especially Newcastle – 4th place, give me a break!), it looks yet another cracking week of football. The emergence of Man City and, to some extent, Spurs means that there’s at least one big game most weeks. It just shows this is the best league in the world. You don’t get competitiveness like this anywhere else.

The early kick-off is my game of the week. City stumbled last week (cheers, Fulham) and Everton seem to be slowly improving, so it should be a great match – and Everton won this fixture last season. Something tells me that Aguero and Dzeko might make a difference this time. Entertainment is guaranteed for sure.


I think Stoke could be Man United’s first banana skin of the season. The Britannia has got to be, in my opinion, the hardest ground to go to. Either I’m spot on or I’m only saying that because Arsenal always make a meal of it every time we go there. Opinions aside though, I’m expecting a hiccup from The Red Devils. The Chelsea game last week showed that they can be beaten – provided that you don’t ship 3 goals in the first half, what kind of team does that, seriously?

Unfortunately, I’m not foreseeing any such calamities at Stamford Bridge, though. Sure, they limped over the finish line against Fulham in the cup on Wednesday, but I’m sure they won’t allow Swansea to play like they did against the Gunners. To those Chelsea fans who always tell us how rubbish our defence is, we’ll see about that after tomorrow. I’m not going to argue against you though, as I’ve learnt in the past few weeks, when you’re an Arsenal fan like me and you work around a lot of Chelsea fans, you don’t win too many arguments. Even when you remind them of which is London’s most successful club, they just remind you of the last six years.

Don't worry Gooners, just remind the Chelsea fans of this...
I’m hoping that after this season, the Gooners will be able to change all of that. 3 points on Saturday would be a step in the right direction. Come on you Reds!

Comments