That’s More Like It!

 I think everyone will agree that that was much, much better from Arsenal. What a great response from the team. We couldn’t have asked for more (apart from a Van Persie hat-trick, of course). Now we have to keep this up for the rest of the season. It’s time we took the league by storm. That victory was the perfect remedy for a truly torrid opening.


Away from the Emirates, it was also a rather pleasing week for us Gooners. Haven’t had one of those in a while, that’s for sure. Stoke answered our prayers and nicked a point off Man. United. Good old Peter Crouch, I always knew he was a top player. Why he didn’t get more games at Spurs is baffling. He could have had a hat-trick on Saturday – if he keeps this up he’ll be the signing of the summer, no doubt.

Although Chelsea won, they didn’t have it all their own way against Swansea. All I’m going to say is I told you so. Swansea are a real top team. They totally dominated that game at times; the scoreline was so harsh on them. It doesn’t really surprise you that they got promoted last season, they have bags of class. That said, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see them relegated either, but I’d certainly back them against some other teams.

The only negative from the weekend was that City keep winning and I’m just starting to worry how far they can really go. I stand by my words that they can’t win the league, but they don’t half make you wonder, do they? I don’t think many people were expecting Aguero to have such an effect this early and David Silva to hit tip-top form, not to mention Edin Dzeko, too, who has been lightning so far – and he’s their sub striker. I suppose it’s slight consolation for Arsenal fans that that bonehead, Samir Nasri, has done sod all and from our point of view it’s £25m well earned (if not well spent).

Back to Arsenal, the focus is now on Olympiakos in the Champions League on Wednesday. I’m going to the match myself, so I’m hoping it’s going to be better than my last trip there (the Liverpool game back in August, in case you were wondering). To make it 3 wins on the trot would set the tone for the rest of season. I would urge the fans to really get behind the team, but, despite this blog going out on the World Wide Web, for reasons unknown only manages to attract about 10 views a week. (A little help, guys? :D) I’m serious though, the fans can be key to the club’s success, home and away. The United and Blackburn debacles proved that we have the best fans in the league and we need to show that on our home turf more than others.

The big positives to come out of the last week are that Arsenal finally look like they’re back on track. I think this may be my least critical post about the Gunners yet – and that can only be a good thing. If it weren’t for the bad news about Wilshere I would brand this week as perfect. Never mind, though, Jack will come back and, hopefully, spur us on to victory and lift the title. Hopefully.

Ton up for RVP
Finally, I could not complete my post without mentioning and congratulating our captain, Robin Van Persie, for becoming a member of the strictly exclusive 100 Club. You can only stand and applaud his exceptional Arsenal career. We have to honour him with a trophy, and quickly, before he becomes subject of another Fabregas-style transfer saga. To score 100 goals for any club is a magnificent honour. My favourite RVP goal has to be his Barcelona equaliser last season, or that deadly volley against Charlton a few years back. He is officially an Arsenal legend.

Congratulations RVP for reaching 100 goals for Arsenal, I’m hoping there’ll be another 100 to come.

Come on you Reds!

Comments