Ooh To Be A Gooner!

What are Arsenal like, eh? Just when you think we were collapsing towards yet another defeat in a big game and they surprise us with perhaps their best attacking performance for years. That was without a doubt the most enthralling game I have ever watched; on a par with the Barca game last year. Yes, the defensive weaknesses were on show once again, but when you’ve got someone like Van Persie leading the line up-front, who cares?



Emotions were running high throughout the match. Never have they ranged from despair to ecstasy so quickly. Never have my vocal chords been so vigorously tested; the amount of times and I shouted at the TV – particularly at the referee and the ‘experts’ in the studio – reached countless levels. Redknapp and Neville never seemed to be satisfied with Arsenal’s performance – or Arsenal in general for that matter. I suppose you shouldn’t really expect Arsenal praise from former Spurs and United players. I think we can all agree, though, that the Gunners pretty much silenced all their biased views.

When the first goal went in, I feared the worst. We should’ve been 2-0 up by then, but I was quite scared that the floodgates would open. Mertesacker looked way too vulnerable at the back for a guy of his size. Their two goals were both probably his fault. Maybe he was a panic buy after all – it seems we don’t need him after all. Laurent Koscielny has been immense at the back recently. Miles better than Mertesacker and Djourou, who, somehow, might be kept out the team by Carl Jenkinson; even I’ve been impressed with him lately. Now the Verminator’s back as well, it looks like a Koscielny partnership is the best bet to keeping some clean sheets for once.


One man who had an up-and-down afternoon was Andre Santos. He started off dreadfully; Mata and Bosingwa got past him way, way too easily, but after his somewhat lucky goal (poor goalkeeping) he got stuck right in to every tackle and had a terrific game. If he can play like that every week for 90 minutes, I sure wouldn’t like to be Kieran Gibbs. He probably thought he would be first-choice left-back, as did I, but now he’s just stuck on the bench, again. I do hope he gets in front of Ashley Cole in the England team because he is, without question, England’s best left-back.

After Walcott scored, I was so shocked to find out how comfortable we were. We were good on the ball, creating chances, defensively solid – it felt odd to watch to see an Arsenal side so composed in such a high-profile fixture. So what do Chelsea do then? Cheat, of course.

Take nothing away from the strike. Although it got a deflection, it was some goal. And that would have been absolutely fine, in my mind, if it weren’t for the most blatant piece of slyness by Lukaku, clearly off-handing Santos who was so effective by then. Lukaku looks like he could be a fitting replacement to Didier Drogba once he goes.

So it was no more than justice when Terry tried to fake a slip for no good reason and allow RVP in, at which point I think my neighbours may have been able to hear my jubilant screaming through their walls. And just imagine the noise when the rifled in the fifth. Again, I didn’t go through the normal anxiety I always have at the end of games; we were brilliant today.

If anyone ever doubted our title credentials (I may be being slightly hypocritical there), they can think again. My only concern would be that our poor start will be the difference in the end, but right now, the club is definitely on the up. All Arsenal fans should be proud of the team; they just proved we can beat the best when it matters. I told you guys you should keep the faith, now look where we are now.

Come On You Reds, best team in the world!

Comments