New Year’s Resolutions…

Okay, I’ll be the first to admit I don’t keep up very well with my blogging. But, with a new year just around the corner, and with me being in the festive mood, it might be just the time to wipe the slate clean and change all that.

I didn’t exactly choose the right time to take an undeserved break from this blog, what with United and City going out of the Champions League in laughable fashion, Arsenal going from strength to strength in the Premier League and a crazy El Clásico encounter. I’m not usually one for excuses, though I have had a mountain of college work and I’m currently in my fourth plaster in two weeks (I’m not clumsy, it’s complicated). The bright side is that I’ll have plenty to rant and rave about over the coming weeks as I get used to blogging daily (God help me).
Happy Birthday, Arsenal. Sorry I couldn't be there.
I should warn you now that it may become dominated with Arsenal talk; although that may be just fine to all the Gooners out there, I do like to share my thoughts on everyone else so no-one feels let out. After all, I should be allowed to mock certain teams every now and then – only when they deserve it, of course. I’m absolutely gutted and ashamed of myself for missing the 125 anniversary celebrations and THAT goal from Robin Van Persie, and I feel like I need to pay my respects to the club I love.

And for those of you who aren’t fans of my slightly long paragraphs will be glad to hear that I’ll keep my posts short and sweet for most of the week, unless I’m gearing up for a big match like the one on Sunday.

The big news in football right now is the lead up to the Champions League draw on Friday morning. There’s no need to remind people that Manchester will have NO involvement whatsoever in the knockout stages, which frees up a few places for some unknown teams, so I can only thank United and City for not doing quite good enough – your country salutes you.
You can't help but laugh... haha
Even the unbiased side of me can’t see Arsenal slipping up if we faced Basel in the next round, that’s a tie I would happily get tomorrow. I would fancy most of the runners-up, though I wouldn’t like a trip to Russia or the San Siro, unless we pull off a performance like we did the last time we went there, or even the time before that, mind you. The same goes for Chelsea, I suppose, though do look more beatable than they used to be – but I think AVB’s just turning their fortunes around once again, and that win over City could not have come at a better time – for them and Arsenal. London will be the driving force in this year’s Champions League; bring it on.

Anyone for seconds?
It’s going to be weird watching United in the Europa League. I can’t see them winning it, though. I’ve got a feeling Sir Alex will give a half-arsed effort in most games – and who could blame him? He’s got a squad full of stars yet they couldn’t pick up basic points at home. Even in the Premier League they’re slacking recently. Aside from their Wolves win last week, they couldn’t score to save their lives – thank God for Chicharito. If it weren’t for him, Arsenal would be right on their tail, though I don’t think it’ll be too long before we get there anyway.

Before you know it, Old Trafford will become only three quarters full and as quiet as others think the Emirates faithful are (though I was there at the City game and it was anything but!). The wise thing to do for Sir Alex would be to lose early on and concentrate on the league, because those games will take their toll. Hopefully, we won’t take that advice and we will see them crumble out of trophy contention for once. I’m sure that’s something we can all look forward to in 2012.

See you tomorrow,

Come On You Reds!

Comments