Premier League Predictions 2013/14

It's that time of year again; as of tomorrow, football is officially back. We've had our appetisers in the form of the transfer window, lower leagues getting underway and the somewhat indifferent pre-seasons clubs have endured in the past month or so, and now we are ready for the main course. 10 months of glorious football awaits. And on this, the eve of one of the most unpredictable seasons in (my) living memory, the kick-off can't come soon enough.



And what with the destination of the season's top prizes being so uncertain this year, it seems a rather fitting time to preview the premier teams' chances. Let's start at the bottom:

Battle For Survival

The race to stay up this year is arguably as unpredictable as the race for the top. It seems to me, that there are less 'rubbish' teams in the Premier League this year it very well may be that one of them goes down. The three promoted teams will all have a serious fight on their hands, however. 

I don't think Hull City have got what it takes to stay up as their squad hasn't got enough quality in it. Unless he's uncovered an absolute gem in Sagbo, Steve Bruce's men look like they'll be fighting a losing battle from day one. And as much as I'd like to see Ian Holloway in the PL every year, I don't even think Chamakh will help his Eagles soar above the drop-zone. Crystal Palace have lost Zaha to the champions and I think his departure will hurt them - he got them here in the first place. Cardiff City, however, have a very decent team, and the 'Wales' factor may work in their favour. They've bought well too, but their lack of experience could weigh them down, but I think they'll just about escape the drop.

One team I am worried about (but I'll be glad to see them go) is Stoke City. Mark Hughes' appointment has always struck me as an odd one and I just don't feel he's the man to take them forward - and the Stoke team that Pulis left in the summer wasn't exactly exciting. I think they could struggle greatly this season.


Mid-Table Mediocrity

I'm getting the feeling that some teams that had decent seasons last year may be in for some disappointment. Teams such as West Brom, who have lost Lukaku, their main goal source, may lose their touch this year along with Swansea, who, as a result of their success, are now into Europe and I'm expecting that to take its toll on them. I think Fulham could also be in for a tricky ride this season as I think there's something bland about them, something missing. Whether that's Darren Bent, I'm not so sure, but they could be in trouble if they start badly.

You'll also get the teams that have solid, if not amazing seasons. Teams like Southampton and Newcastle are mid-table teams and no more than that, and I'm not expecting anything special or disastrous from them. Remy and Lambert can get bags of goals at their respective clubs and they have hard-working defences. I also think Aston Villa will have a much-improved season from last year, especially now they've nailed down Benteke for another year - at least.


Top Half/The Race for Europe

This is where we'll see the surprise packages end up. Two teams I think will do well this year are Sunderland and Norwich. Sunderland have bought many players, but there's three or four in there that really excite me. And judging the way Di Canio revived them to safety last season, he could turn them into a real success story. Norwich have bought some serious firepower up front; Gary Hooper is vastly underrated but the Premier League will be a true test of quality. Leroy Fer was impressive at the U-21s in June, too. They could trouble some teams this year.

I think a good year is also in store for West Ham. Under the guidance of Nolan, they're a real tough nut to crack and as always, hard to beat. They didn't manage consecutive wins last year, but I think their new attacking prowess will provide them with better fortunes this time around.

Like last year, I think it's going to be another case of a Merseyside six-seven as they settle for European football. I don't consider Liverpool's claims of being in the hunt for fourth to be genuine, with or without Luis Suarez, but an improvement is surely on the horizon, this year. I think Everton under Roberto Martinez aren't as daunting as they were under Moyes and I think he'll take this year to settle in to the job properly. 

I'm not fazed by Tottenham's captures of Soldado or Paulinho, and even if they sell Bale (but here's hoping they do), they're still not quite up to it, for me, to get into the Champions League. Like Arsenal, they just throw silly points away. In contrast, that's something I'm expecting Arsenal to do much less of this year and get into fourth comfortably. Yes, we haven't added anyone notable, and I'm as angry as the rest of the Gooners for these constant failures in the transfer market, but we still have a good team, and we have the quality to beat the teams below us. And both Tottenham and ourselves just don't have the quality to break into the top three.


The Title Race

Sorry, Arsene, but I don't think it's going to be a six-horse race this year. Thinking realistically, it's no more than three. It's easy to say Chelsea will win it due to the return of The Special One, or City will thanks to their latest effort to buy the trophy again (technically this is what Chelsea are also doing), but I'm sticking my neck out and going for the champions.

In reality, Manchester City SHOULD win it given the money they've injected into the squad - though a team that pays over £30m for a midfielder from the Ukrainian league needs some looking at. They do have an amazing team, no question, added to that, an exceptional manager, but can he iron out the mistakes that hindered the pathetic defence of their title in one year? I doubt it. I still feel they have the tendency to collect stupid results throughout the course of the season, but they have the pick of the starts in the league, so they've got no excuses to deliver the title once more.


I'm expecting Chelsea to improve under Mourinho but it will be different from his first stint at Stamford Bridge. He's looking more like a tamed animal nowadays; not the one to joke around in every press conference or hide in laundry baskets. But he will bring/return a fresh winning mentality that can see the Premier League trophy on its way back to London. But it'll take some doing in his first year back - a lot has changed since he was last here.

It may be Moyes' first year in the job. It may have been a horrible pre-season for the Red Devils. Wayne Rooney may be nearing the exit door. But it is still Manchester United. And for that reason alone, there's no reason why they can't go and do it all again this year. Ferguson may have departed but he has left his mark on the club and those players. They will take the influence he had on them into the rest of their careers. They will still play with the same hunger, desire, determination etc. as they always have done. Don't let Moyes' presence fool you, Manchester United are still the ones to beat.




Comments